USDOT has published a Final Rule on Procedures for Transportation Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Programs: Addition of Oral Fluid Specimen Testing for Drugs. The Rule is effective June 1, 2023.
This rule allows DOT-regulated employers to use oral fluid specimens for drug testing, as well as –
- harmonizes with Health and Human Services (HHS) oral fluid Mandatory Guidelines,
- clarifies certain Part 40 provisions that cover urine drug testing procedures,
- removes provisions that are no longer necessary,
- adds eight new definitions, clarifying language to definitions and web links, and
- updates provisions to address issues that have risen in recent years.
Please know, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will need to certify at least two laboratories before employers have the option to conduct oral fluid testing.